March 23, 2017
One of the questions that we get asked most often from our brides & grooms, friends, family, and sometimes even total strangers is “What do you do if it rains on a wedding day?!?” This is a great question, and one that most couples think about often as they plan for their wedding day. Rain can make things tricky at times, and although it is never ideal, it does happen. It actually happened to us. That’s right, it rained the day we got married!
It was one of those soft yet steady rains, that lasted from the time our ceremony began until we left our reception.
In complete honesty, rainy wedding days are some of my favorites now. It’s nostalgia, I know, it always transport me right back to the day, that we danced under that white canopy tent to the pitter-pattered of the rain fall. As romantic as that moment was, we know that rain can bring complexities. That is why we are sharing some of our favorite tips for couples who may find themselves getting married on a rainy day! We hope you find this helpful as you prepare for your BIG day!
– Have a rain plan made in advance. If you’re planning an outdoor ceremony (or reception), know what you would like to be done in the event of rain. Your heart and mind will be at ease this way, and you won’t have to make any last minute decisions on your actual day.
– Take one step at a time. It’s important, not to stress! Embrace the changes, and remain joyful, because TODAY is the DAY! Rain or shine, it’s going to be amazing, and you’re getting married!
– Have a great team of vendors by your side. These people will take care of you, and take the steps needed to make sure everything is in order. ( Our wedding day coordinator was a saint. We had planned for an outdoor ceremony and had to move it under the reception tent due to rainfall. While we were off taking pictures, she was making sure everything was all taken care of. We never had to worry, not once.)
– Are you concerned about how rain will affect your photos?!? If you did not know, overcast days are GREAT for photos! You get bright vibrant colors (AMEN!), and it also increases the amount of locations we are able to shoot in, because the light is soft and even almost everywhere.
– Ok, so what if it’s pouring down rain?!? No problem. We will plan extra time to scout out a location that is covered from the rain. We’ve shot under massive trees, bridges, porches, barns, and MORE. There are always options. Your portraits are going to be great!
– Have fun with it! Grab a few umbrellas, maybe even rain boots! Consider getting an umbrella that is clear. Umbrellas that are colorful with illuminate your face with with that same color. Clear is perfect for portraits
We hope you find this helpful. Let us know if you have questions, or thoughts.
We can even make rain work at engagement photo sessions. 😉